Sunday, January 7, 2007

Theaterhound

Since I’m on the confession kick, I’ll divulge my other addiction.

Wait for it….

MOVIES!!!!

I love movies. I love the theater. I love just about everything about the theater, The huge screen, the trailers, those moments right before the lights dim, when the lights dim. I love being a part of the movie watching community, I love everything. The Salty Snacks, the Loud surround sound, everything…I am a theaterhound. I’ll go to the movies cause I miss the theater, even if nothing good is playing. I really like the atmosphere of the movie theater.

But I also love the movies. new movies, old movies, all kinds of movies. Anything that will transport me into another world. And here is the latest. Children of Men. The best damn movie I’ve seen in a good long while.

In the future, humans lose the ability to reproduce. This means it’s the end of the world. It’s a slow tortured death that people have to sit and watch as the human population steadily decreases with no new members to replenish the dead. The world goes to shit. What’s the point of abiding by society’s laws when in a few decades nothing will matter? Factions of people are warring, and fighting and killing. In the midst of all this, a miracle happens. The world’s only pregnant woman stubbles into the collective laps of Clive Owen and Julianne Moore. It is up to them to get her to the Human Project, A collection of the world greatest minds who are working to fix the infertility problem.

Alfonso Cuaron Has created one of the best movies In theater today. It is Beautifully and masterfully crafted, the actors give genuine performances and the whole movie just works. The story line, to the casting to every last detail. And the best part. Towards the end of the movie, there was one take, it was one of the greatest takes ever. It had to have been five minutes long. One long continuous shot, no edits, just the camera following Clive Owen through war torn streets and through a building being shredded by gunfire. The must have been 100 people in and out of this one shot. Things were exploding, the camera kept panning around, making sure you saw all of the ugly details of humanities worst. It was awesome. Go out and see it. Now. Right this very instant. Trust me. The theaterhound knows his movies.

No comments: