Sunday, February 10, 2008

So here's the thing about suits...

So i'm graduating in a little over a month, and i'm going to need a suit for the big day and i'll prolly be interviewing for jobs after that. I don't have a suit, i don't think i ever have, and certainly not one i've ever actually wanted to wear. So I get a book, The Details Style Manual, and start reading up. I'm not huge into clothes, i couldn't tell you designers, or even whats "in" right now, but i like to look presentable, and i like to look well put together. So i'm dead set on finding a something classic, something that looks nice, something that looks a little tailored. According to Details, a bad suit is as easy to pick out in a crowd as a bad toupee, and i damn sure i don't wanna be that guy.

So i go in there knowing what i'm going to pick up. I skinny gray suit, 2 shirts (one with pencil strips, one pale blue) and a tie (blue and silver striped) I'm all excited, and a little nervous. Excited cause i'm going to look good, nervous cause it's a new situation and i have to talk to some guy i've never met and rely on him to help me out and make me look good. (i get nervous around barbers for the same reasons, I just think getting a haircut is an awkward social situation)


What do i end up walking out with? A Pick up slip (so that i can pick up my gray suit thats getting tailored (it has pin stripes, small understated ones cause i don't like to be flashy), a red shirt and a gray and black and red tie, a black shirt with a small patterned white tie, and a pale gray shirt with a black tie with small blue stripes, a dark navy blazer, and a pair of even newer dress shoes.

I wanted to spend about 400-450 bucks, and i end up spending considerably more, how does this happen you might ask? well in short, i fold like origami. I have no backbone and i can't stand up to the sales guy at Men's Wearhouse. "what shoes are you wearing with your suit? those ones you bought last night? i don't think so! those are way too casual for a suit" "how about a sport coat, it'll knock 50 bucks off of your suit price, and tack on 70 more to your overall total" "Which of these shirts and ties combinations do you like, I'm not going to show you a price tag on anything and let it be a surprise when you get to the register." damn him for making me look so good, and damn me for not have the chutzpah to say "how much" or even "no thank you."

Whatever, i now know that i can go to mytailor.com and get my shirts and suits custom made to fit me, and not have to talk to anyone for only a few bucks more. Well worth the extra few bucks, no pressure sales and better fitting clothes. Hooray internet!

No comments: